Orwell Friendship Club

Photo:Friendship Club at Lowestoft 2012

Friendship Club at Lowestoft 2012

By Gerry Arnold and Derek Skipper

The inaugural meeting of Orwell Over 60s Club was held in the Village Hall in Spring 1957, and was attended by representatives of the WRVS and County and local Councils.  The Rector brought good wishes from the churches and the Minister led the prayers.

The club was opened by Mrs Langdon of the Old People's Welfare Council who was presented with a bouquet by Mrs Friar, one of the oldest Orwell residents.  Around fifty pensioners then enjoyed a splendid tea, served by Mrs A. Wilkins and helpers.

During the summer of 1957 the club enjoyed its first coach outing, when it visited Long Melford.  In December 1957 the club changed its name to The Friendship Club and held its first Christmas party, when Orwell schoolchildren, conducted by teacher Mrs Maddox entertained with carol singing. A gift of equipment for playing Bingo was very popular with members.

The first officers of the Club were:

Chairman - Mrs David Harper,  Vice Chairman - Mrs Marr,   Secretary - Mrs Audrey Miller,  and Joint Treasurers - Mrs Brown and Mrs Prater.

Meetings are now (2012) held in the Lordship Community Room where members enjoy card games and Bingo, and have coach outings and lunches.

This page was added by Derek Skipper on 12/09/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.