No. 2 High Street (The Old School House)

By David Miller

The Old School House was built in 1839, and comprised the schoolroom, and the living accommodation for the teacher.  It has now been converted for use as a single house, and the schoolroom itself has had a floor inserted in order to double the floor area.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'No. 2 High Street (The Old School House)' page

For details of how the school looked in the past, and how the school system was operated, go to 'Schools (and Education) in Orwell' under the heading "Places."

The yellow bricks used are common in this area, and were either made locally, or perhaps brought from the brickyards just to the east of Cambridge.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'No. 2 High Street (The Old School House)' page

This spot was once the village 'Camping Close,' and it is shown on the Chicheley Map as "Campions."  Campion, or Champion, was a sport somewhat akin to soccer, but with a lot more rough play involved.  A blown up pig's bladder was used as a football.

This page was added by David Miller on 06/12/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.