Getting about

Peggy Miller

 

In 1907 Aaron Scott and George Everitt were carriers to Cambridge and Mrs Isabella Reed was a carrier to Royston - all by horse and cart of course.  Later on Phyl Ingrey’s grandmother, Mrs Jude, was one of the carriers to Cambridge with her Ford Tin Lizzie, until the Cambridge Blue buses were started by John Goates of Orwell in 1927.  His first buses, fourteen-seater Chevrolets, were garaged in the barn by the road at Manor Farm.  Two of the buses ran regularly from Bedford to Cambridge and one was in reserve for emergencies and outings.  On Thursdays only the two school services ran, so the buses were taken in turn into the farmyard to be washed down and polished.  As time went on the Chevrolets were replaced by twenty seater Thorneycrofts and by 1931 they had moved to their new garage at Arrington.

Photo:Ortona Bus on the corner of Town Green Road, taking Orwell WI on its first outing

Ortona Bus on the corner of Town Green Road, taking Orwell WI on its first outing

 

The earliest bus service from Orwell to Cambridge was provided by the green Ortona buses which were running by 1921/22.

This page was added by Pat Grigor on 09/10/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.