No.27, High Street (Well House.)

By David Miller

Photo:Well Cottage in 2013

Well Cottage in 2013

The title deeds to this cottage show that it was a single cottage in 1845, but after that and before 1882 it was divided into two separate dwellings.  There are still two front doors evident, even though the property has now been converted back into single occupation.

Inside, there are some elements of a timber construction which may be earlier than the front two rooms, the wood showing some signs of having been exposed to the elements as an external wall, and including a diagonal brace, which is normally only used at the outside corners of a building. The rest of the earlier property (if it is in fact such) has all been swept away. It might have dated from around 1750.

It is suggested that when the property was converted into two, it was extended forwards by the building of the two rooms which now front the road, by adding the front chimney stack, and by a new roof to cover both the older property and the extension together. The form of the slated roof well suits a mid Victorian date, and the chimney stack, although of red brick, appears to be in better condition than one would expect for an older date.

Photo:Beautiful pavior brick floor.

Beautiful pavior brick floor.

The floor in the front room of no.27 is quite exceptional, both for the condition of the brick paviors, and for the fact that they are still completely flat. This again points to a more recent construction. It was not possible to determine the type of construction used for the front part of the house, but the floor joists in one of the front rooms are quite light which indicates a Victorian date.

At the back, there is a small barn that was at one time the workshop of cobbler Ernie Fuller who lived in No.25. There is an amount of timber studwork in ithis barn, although it appears to be more decorative than structural.

Photo:Re-used timbers in the rear 'barn.'

Re-used timbers in the rear 'barn.'

Photo:Front room fireplace. The further brick infill is apparent.

Front room fireplace. The further brick infill is apparent.

Photo:Fireplace in the room behind the front door. Note the contrast with the other fire.

Fireplace in the room behind the front door. Note the contrast with the other fire.

The fireplaces in the two front rooms are surprisingly different. One is comparatively small, to suit perhaps a black lead cooking stove, and has been infilled further to make it a small hearth for warmth only, while the inglenook fireplace on the opposite side of the stack is large, exceedingly plain, and does not have any indication as to its former use.

The property was copyhold of the Manor of Orwell until it was enfranchised under the 1925 legislation. This is one of the early title deeds held:

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'No.27, High Street (Well House.)' page

Nicholas Barton, who made his will in 1662, may have lived on this land.

This page was added by David Miller on 16/03/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.